Grants FAQ

Am I eligible to apply?

If you are a registered charity or not-for-profit Organisation, a school or a group that is affiliated to a regional or national body you are eligible to apply.

For more detail, please refer to the Eligibility page here

Do you have funding in our area?

In general, funds will be distributed in the area in which it was generated. This is typically defined by territorial local authority (TLA) boundaries or in the Auckland Region by Wards. The Directors may however at their discretion, apply and distribute funds from one TLA/Ward to another, or toward a National project.

To see if we have a venue near you, please check here

How often can I apply?

There is no limit as to how many applications an Organisation can make within a calendar year; however, only one application should be submitted to any given funding round.

How will you contact us if more information is required?

All communication regarding your application will be sent to your primary contact via email through our online system. So that you do not miss any of our email updates, please ensure you have the following email addresses set up as SAFE SENDERS:

It is your responsibility to ensure your contact details are always up to date.

When contacting a member of the Grants Team via email, please use the REPLY button from an email already received by the system ( Any emails sent directly to this address without using the REPLY option will not be received by the Grants Team.

How much can I apply for?

There is no limit to the amount you can apply for. If the Board wishes to support your application but does not have sufficient funds, they have the ability to partially fund.

Can I apply for salaries?

Yes you can apply for salaries; however where Grassroots Trust has not provided funding to a specific role in the past, these salary requests are not a high priority for the Directors.

Can I apply for Building or Renovation Projects (Infrastructure)?

Yes you can apply for building or renovation projects; however due to COVID-19, these projects will not be a high priority for the Directors.

Can I apply for travel and accommodation?

Yes you can apply for travel and accommodation; however these requests are not a high priority for the Directors.

Can I apply for medals and trophies?

Yes you can apply for medals and trophies; however these requests are not a high priority for the Directors.

Can I use an overseas supplier?

Grassroots Trust does not accept quotes from overseas suppliers, please ensure you submit quotes from a New Zealand based supplier.

What documents do I need to provide with my application?

You can find a full list of what is required by category in Step 2 of the Application Process here

Below are some examples:

  1. Cover letter
  2. Affiliation letter
  3. Chair or Secretary signed Resolution
  4. Quote

What am I unable to apply for?

The following are examples of purposes that are deemed unauthorised for grant consideration. This list is not exhaustive but rather is intended as a sample. Feel free to contact a member of the Grants Team if you have any specific questions.

  • Anything intended to further the activities of professional sports persons or teams.
  • Any individual sport person unless the grant is made to and administered by an incorporated sporting body.
  • Anything related to a hotel social club.
  • Third party donor Organisations (e.g. service clubs).
  • Food and entertainment.
  • Dress uniforms.
  • Training shirts.
  • Funding for fundraising events.
  • Salaries / wages for fundraising or sponsorship staff
  • Purchase or subsidy of vehicles intended for purposes associated with social functions.
  • Stake money for any types of races.
  • Any goods or services that have already been paid prior to their approval.

Are there conditions attached to grants?

Yes, there are conditions attached to grants.

To view our conditions for Allocation of Funds, Audit and Inspection Requirements, please click here

Can I use a different supplier?

Yes, you can use a different supplier; however, the items purchased must be the same specific items listed in your Approval Letter. If the funding is spent on anything other than the approved specific items, a refund will be required. 

What happens if our funded staff member leaves our Organisation or changes roles?

If there is a change in staff member during the approved timeframe, prior written approval must be sought before funds are spent. To request a change you must email a copy of the new staff members signed Employment Agreement and Position Description to If funds are spent without prior written approval, a refund will be required.

Can I be reimbursed for expenses that have already been paid?

No. The Board cannot consider funding any expenses that have been paid prior to their funding approval.

Sport, not social

Social activities are not recognised as authorised purposes because they give a personal rather than community benefit. For example, a group of friends or acquaintances going on an annual ski trip are not eligible to apply.

Amateur, not professional

Professional sporting groups cannot apply as it is of a commercial nature.

What is a bona fide sporting activity?

Sometimes an activity is presented as a sporting activity, but its real nature is entertainment, social, personal gain or commercial.

The Department of Internal Affairs considers a bona fide sport to be one where the activity, club or Organisation:

  • Is affiliated or aligned to a national body
  • Is genuine and real (e.g. has standards and rules)
  • Is played regularly as part of a significant competition
  • Has a President and Secretary
  • Has regular minuted meetings
  • Audited financial accounts

An incorporated Organisation will usually find it easier to meet these criteria than an unincorporated group.

Can venue operators benefit from a grant?

No, venue operators cannot make any decisions or recommendations about grant applications.

Do grants include GST?

Grants are GST exclusive; however if you are not GST registered, you may apply for the full GST inclusive cost of the goods or service.

Who can authorise my application?

All applications must be authorised by two Executive Committee / Board members. One of the authorisers may be a Chief Executive Officer provided that person has no interest in the grant, e.g. by way of salary or contract services paid. If another member of your Organisation has authority to apply for funding on behalf of your governing body, you must provide a copy of the meeting minutes where this delegated authority was given. These minutes must be signed by the Chairperson and dated within the last twelve months.

How can I get back into my application?

If you leave your application before it has been submitted, you can re-enter it at anytime by using the return link that will be sent to you once you have entered your email details into your application.

Can I save the page and come back later?

You can only save the page if all questions have been completed. Each step must be completed in full before you can save and navigate to another page.

How will I know if our application is successful?

The Grassroots Trust Limited Board generally meets on the fourth Wednesday of each calendar month. The full grant results are uploaded to the Trust’s website by the end of the meeting day; with individual application outcome letters emailed to each Applicant within 48 hours of the meeting. To view previous grant recipients, please click here

How will the grant be paid?

Payment will be direct credited to the recipient Organisation’s bank account within one month of the application being approved.

What will our Organisation have to do if we are successful?

Your Organisation must provide an accountability report as soon as reasonably possible, but no later than the date outlined in your approval letter. 

For more detail, please refer to the Accountability page here

Having trouble entering your Incorporated Societies or Charities Number?

Your Incorporated Societies Number or Organisation Name may be different than what is registered with the Societies or Trust Office. It is recommended that you copy your Organisation’s Name as it listed on the register and paste it into your application. To view the register click here

If you still receive an error select ‘No’ to being either an Incorporated Society or Registered Charity and upload your Certificate of Incorporation or Charities Certificate to supporting documents in Step 7.

If you are a Registered Charity, please answer ‘No’ to being an Incorporated Society.

Is my information safe?

Yes, please click here to view our Privacy Act Declaration.

Do you have a paper application?

Yes. A copy of the paper application is here

Please note that paper applications are no longer accepted as all grant applications are to be submitted online.